– Sorry, you find out from
Shana’s friend that she died, and you don’t talk to her for two years. – [CJ] Two years. – And then all of a
sudden, she pops up in. – I’m scrolling on Facebook. (dramatic music) Are you kidding me? – How could you, over the
course of those six months, not meet up with her? – Honey, your guess is as good as mine. I never understood, it was like every time something came up. – You’ve watched the show. – Yes, and I really started to feel like I was being catfished and I
brought it up in a conversation. I was like, am I being catfished? And she was like no, I had a
feeling you were thinking that but that’s not it, it’s
just things keep coming up. It was just really
suspect the entire time. – Geez.
– But I guess I was blinded. And then she told me that her mom passed. (dramatic music) That’s when I could kinda sense
that things were changing. She kind of withdrew from me. And so I was like you seem distant. She sent me this long
message and would say I am interested in somebody
else, and it was a him. – [Nev] It was a guy. – She told me everything that
I told you I felt was a lie. Everything. I’m like, really? – You guys are like falling
asleep on the phone together, that’s not, you don’t fake that
unless you’re really crazy. – This was only about a month
ago that you guys broke up, do you think that you still love her? – I’m conflicted. I loved her, I did, it was real for me. – Hi.
– Hi. – I just wanted to have a
quick chat if that’s okay. – Yeah.
– Because, um, is there a story or explanation
you want to kind of, just offer or, do you have
anything you wanna say since you’re here now? And you can understand, she’s upset. – I know she’s upset, mm hm. – And so she’s just dealing with it in the way that she deals with it. – I am, oh, let me now say I’m not mad. Let me now say I’m not mad.
– Yeah, ’cause I mean, it’s a really crazy moment right now. – Maybe now say I’m not mad, ’cause that’s an understatement. This is a dangerous game she playing. A real dangerous game.
– ‘Cause you really, you really did care for her. – When you met her, it was
as the Priscilla profile. – Yes, the Priscilla profile. – Which you created.
– Mm hm. – And had been using for some time, or? – Yeah, I’ve been using
fake profiles for a while. It all started when I was
like, at least very young, 13. – Okay, so, a story that you told her, you met somebody else. – Yeah, I met somebody
else, early September. – [Nev] A guy? – Yeah.
– Okay. So is that accurate, I mean. – Yeah, it’s accurate. – I’m sorry to ask this, but like, some of the stories that you told. – Yeah.
– Are regarding some family tragedies,
that stuff’s not true? – That’s some stuff I
really not want to put. – But your mom is. – She’s alive, but yeah.
– Healthy and alive. – She’s alive, but that’s.
– So that’s, I’m glad to hear that.
– Mm hm, yeah. – ‘Cause as I understand,
you told her that your mother had passed away.
– Mm hm. – At this point I don’t even
want answers to anything. I’m (beep) done. – You don’t even?
– I don’t even really want to know, ’cause either there’s
some (beep) going on within her. – [Alex] Yes. – Okay, so basically in
2013, Alyssa messaged me and we start talking and
we hit it off nicely. I felt like we were both ready to meet up and take it to the next level. So it was like, I’m free this
weekend, let’s try to meet up. She’s like yeah, sure. And then all of a sudden, she just said I can’t hang out with you. – Did you like, call her
out and say like what the f? – No, you know, I was like okay, you know, I’ll forgive her,
and we’ll keep going forward. And then after that her mother actually was diagnosed with breast cancer and ultimately passed away. – Were you kind of holding Alyssa’s hand through all of this? – Yeah, I was basically
like her support system throughout all of this. At one point, Alyssa’s actually
diagnosed with breast cancer and she went to the
hospital to get treatment. – Wow, so her mom got
diagnosed with breast cancer, and then she got diagnosed
with breast cancer, and then her mom died of breast cancer. – Yeah, it was a rough time, she was there for two or three months. – She was calling you from the hospital. – Yeah basically, Alyssa’s cousin Miranda was with Alyssa and she was
like there to update me. – And was she texting you? – Yeah, she was actually
texting me from Alyssa’s phone when she was going through chemotherapy to give me updates on her condition. Hi Miranda. – Hi. (dramatic music) – Why did you, why’d you lead me on? – Um, it’s hard to talk
to somebody as myself so behind a screen it’s
easier to talk to people. I didn’t do any of this
to hurt you at all. And I’m pretty sure you’re hurt. And I’m sorry. – You caused Liz and I to break up because she felt like she
couldn’t trust me anymore. So not only did you hurt me,
but you hurt her as well. – I do feel bad and that’s
why I agreed to meet you guys. – Is anything you told me true? – Yeah, everything I’ve told you is true except for of course the pictures. – Does that mean that your mother recently passed away from breast cancer? – That part, no, that part was not true. I said that.
– Well that’s a huge. – So then everything’s not true. – Well that part, I said that- – Well did you have cancer? – No. – You came out here and said
everything I said was true except for the pictures,
and now it turns out most of what you said wasn’t true.
– I thought you meant like the whole entire. – We talked about meeting up on the phone, we talked about you know, that
Friday that we would meet. That Thursday was when
everything kind of happened, you know, his brother passed away. I asked him what happened,
he told me it was his brother had died in a car crash. The next day I find out that his brother had died from cancer.
– What? How do you mix those things up? – Yeah. – Usually you don’t pull the family member died in a car crash card. – Not day four.
– ‘Til at least a month or two in.
– Right. This guy doesn’t have good luck. His brother either had cancer or died in a car accident or both. – I mean it’s ridiculous, come on Ari. – I mean, I can see why
but I’m just kind of being, you know, I just want all this to be real. – So what happened? You turned 40, and were just like I’m gonna start catfishing. – It just started off
as a social experiment and then it turned into an addiction. Something that you know, got a hold of me when I was vulnerable, you know, I couldn’t understand
why people, you know, women couldn’t, you know,
online, couldn’t like dig me. – Did you have any brothers that died? – No. – So those stories were all. – Yeah, I just made that (beep) up. – For why, why did you make that up? – Well, I didn’t know if
we were gonna meet or not ’cause I work nights and
then I sleep during the day so it’s kinda hard to,
it kills your social life working at night, so I had to kinda have, create something to where
my time was limited. – You know what kills your social life? When you think you’re dating someone that you’re in love with and
you’re gonna have kids with and you’re not meeting anyone else because someone’s feeding you
bull (beep) over the phone. That’s what kills your social life. – So I’m like okay, I’m
a give her a chance, you know, go from talking
in DMs to text messages to being on the phone. Around this time I was
having issues, you know, with my mom, and you could kinda say I was technically homeless. – I was homeless for 12
years, I feel that, girl. – Yeah, I was going through
a lot, you know, like she was there, she was comforting me, she was making me feel
good about everything. And then we were supposed
to see each other. She ends up telling me that
her daughter had passed. – Whoa.
– Oh, that’s (beep). – Her baby’s funeral was Thursday, and I was supposed to see her that Friday. So I’m like you know, you
don’t have to come see me. She was like no, I’m still
down to come see you. So she decides that she’s gonna
bring her best friend Raven. And I have met Raven, I
have seen Raven’s face. – Wait, in person?
– In person, no, not in person, on video, and they sounded totally different. – Okay, so you’ve talked
on the phone to Nelly a lot and you’re saying their
voices are very different. – Very different. So me and my best friend,
we get to the hookah bar, I’m calling, text messages,
nobody’s texting me back. So she ended up responding to me. She told me oh, I just
got into a car accident. Soon as she said that, I knew
she was lying automatically. – And so have you guys made any plans to meet since that time, or no? So what’s going on? – I found Oceanna’s Instagram, you know, I liked her, I liked what I saw, but I just felt like I
couldn’t approach her ’cause I didn’t think
that she would talk to me. So I created a fake page, you know, Nelly, to talk to Oceanna and then, you know, at some point I wanted
to, you know, kinda like end what was going on but
it was like hard, you know, I’m like, you know, how
do I tell her that I’m not the person that she thinks she loves, so I just never ended it. – I don’t even, I don’t
even know what to say because we got on video
chat, like that’s crazy, and like being on the phone,
y’all didn’t sound alike. You know, anything that you said to me, whether you was Nelly or Raven,
I was there for you, period. Like, for what? You told me that (beep) for what? – My life was (beep) up at the time. When I first met you, I
was going through a lot. Me and my wife had just separated because she cheated on me in our house with one of my friends. Me and my wife, we live in the same house all we can cope in, but we split up. – But you told her your baby died. – I got a baby like, for real, like I got a nine month
old baby, you know? – So why, why would you like
about some (beep) like that? – Why tell her that your kid died? – Just to like, string the lies along. – I felt bad bro, I felt bad for you. You just threw lies out there. You don’t understand how (beep) I felt when I was sitting in
there and I was hurt. You should’ve just (beep) told me. All those lies did not have to be done. – We just started talking every day. He said he was a welder,
owned three houses, and he’s third Chief in
line for the Zuni tribe. – Oh wow.
– Yeah. We just started vibing, he was like, the only person I talked to. When I told James about
my son, all he said was I don’t mind being there
for your son as my own. – I can see how that would mean a lot. – Yeah. Then he started getting weird, he started saying like, he bought keys. – Keys, of cocaine? – Keys, like I don’t know. – Wait, what is he talking about? – I don’t know what kind of
keys he was talking about. – That’s gotta be a drug thing. – Cocaine. – He said he lost 13 to 15 keys. – Shirlene.
– Come on. – The cartel has him hanging up right now over a highway in Mexico
if he lost 10 to 15 keys. He might actually be dead. – Wait a second, so he is telling you all this ridiculous stuff
about having all these drugs, then losing the drugs. – But I didn’t know it was drugs. – This is absurd. – I don’t know, I don’t
know what was happening. – How long after this
whole thing did he die? – Uh, like a week. – You got a random text from his phone, but it was his sister.
– Yeah. She said hey, this is
Maya, James passed away. – And then your mom was like,
I don’t think he’s dead. – Yeah, my mom said no, he’s
still walking on Mother Earth. – So you texted him back. He just wrote back. – Yeah, like he was like.
– I’m not, ha ha ha. – Hey Shirlene, I have to explain. – But then didn’t. – No. – After he said he died,
did you go on his Facebook to see if people… – No, like, his Facebook
wasn’t there after that. – Got deactivated. – Yeah.
– Huh. Oh, well let’s take a look at this guy. – Yeah.
– Okay, well. – [Nev] Hm, he’s cute. – I like that he has long hair. – So he still has a Facebook? – No, I took that before he. – Oh, this is just a screenshot. Oh, 25, RIP my baby girls. – He had two little
girls, they passed away. – Do you believe that? – It says it on his Facebook. – Did he have photos of them? – No. – [Kamie] Hi. – What’s up? – I’m Kamie. – Mya. – Mya?
– Mya, yeah. – Nice to meet you. – [Nev] And this as you know is Shirlene. – [Mya] Yeah. – So, James, is that a real? – Is he real? – No. – Okay.
– Was it you? – Yeah. – [Nev] It’s been you the whole time. – Yeah.
– Okay. – Why, why did you do this to me? I mean.
– Um. – You basically wasted
my time coming out here. I have a little boy. – Yeah. – Let’s go in here.
– Okay. – Just so you don’t have to feel like everybody’s looking at you. Do you live here in Tuba City? – Yeah, I live here and in the Zuni. – Okay, so you are Zuni. – I’m half Navajo, half Zuni. – [Nev] Half Navajo, half Zuni,
okay, and how old are you? – I’m 18. – You’re a young ‘un, I’m
way older than you, and, oh my gosh, this is weird. Are those little girls real? – The daughters that James said died. Are those?
– No. – That’s a (beep) thing to lie about. – Yeah, I would never
lie about my son dying. Like that part you should have never said. – I know. – How did you come up with all these lies? You talked about keys,
you talked about dying, you talked about a lot of stuff. I cried, I literally cried. – When I did that, that
was of me trying to let that profile die down,
and I tried shutting it down but I couldn’t really
let it go and everything because I would have
no one else to talk to. – So, me and her is just talking, then, a year after, she disappeared. And then I got a weird
message in my email, and it was her friend Destiny Lopez. She said hey, Shana is my
friend and she passed away. – Had you ever heard of Destiny before or she just was a random
friend of Shana’s? – Just a random person. – Wow.
– So, I was feeling heartbroken, I was hurting, I cared about her and I
loved her so I’m like, I just lost a girl that I’ve
never even met yet anyways too. It was like, hard for me to move on. I was talking to other
girls and stuff like that, and then I started dating other girls. But it was just hard. – When Shana died, did
her Facebook page go away or did it just?
– Disappeared. – It disappeared.
– Completely. And then two years later,
I’m scrolling on Facebook, and it says people you may
know, Shana Vasquez, so. – Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, sorry, you find out from
Shana’s friend that she died, and you don’t talk to her for two years. – Two years.
– And then all of a sudden, she pops up in.
– I’m scrolling on Facebook. – And she accepted.
– And I start instantly hitting her with messages. I’m like, are you kidding me? It’s been two years, I thought
to you, and stuff like that, like, where the (beep) you
been, like what’s going on? – Yeah.
– You know what I mean, like. – Wow, back from the dead.
– Wow. – Uh huh, and then she told me I apologize, I’ve been
going through stuff, I just got out of a bad relationship. It was a violent relationship
and I didn’t know how to handle all that stuff, like, she always needed to get me back. When she bounced back up,
I was in a relationship. – And what happened to that relationship? – Oh, we broke up. – Thinking it had something
to do with Shana being back? – Uh huh, she caught me texting
her and stuff like that, you know, so it was like.
– Oh man. – Oh man.
– Texting a dead girl? (laughs)
– Yeah. – You broke up with a real, living person for a Facebook zombie? – Uh huh. – You must really love Shana. – I do, I love her. How did you get all those pictures though? – Some girl that was friends
with my son on Facebook. – [Nev] Oh, how many kids do you have? – Five. – [Nev] Wow. – Do you really have a daughter? – I do, I call her (beep). – Was she really sick and stuff? – No. – So you set up a GoFundMe
page for a daughter with fake cancer.
– I did. – That’s seriously sick.
– That’s sick. – Were you.
– I think I was just, I was trying to cover the
lie that I had told him, I wasn’t, I didn’t have like, it wasn’t, oh, well I’m just gonna
rob people of their money. It was another lie to cover another lie to cover another lie. – Who was Destiny? – Me. – Are you serious? Why did you tell me that you died? – I just, like I really
just wanted to be done with the situation, I
didn’t wanna keep lying. But then I felt bad because
you were really hurt over. – But then you started talking
to other people as Destiny. And obviously continued
talking as Shana too because we reached out
to a handful of people on Shana’s Facebook page and most of them have very similar stories to CJ. – Mm hm. – If you had done it to one person, you maybe could say you felt bad. But to see that you’ve been doing it to I don’t even know how many, I mean, do you even know how many
people you’ve talked to as her?